Kyle & Leslie - House 01
Kyle and Leslie were determined to make a statement with their master bedroom makeover. Their motto, "bigger is better," guided their design choices as they aimed to impress the judges and potential buyers. While they certainly delivered on the wow factor in some areas, there were a few aspects that left us wanting more.
One of the standout features of Kyle and Leslie's master bedroom was their rendered archway, which also served as a statement bedhead. This design element featured LED strip lighting to accentuate its curve, creating a unique and inviting atmosphere in the room. The judges were quick to praise this eye-catching detail, with Darren appreciating the texture and Marty noting the roughness of the plaster.
However, Marty raised a valid point about the practicality of the bedhead, suggesting it might not be the most comfortable option if you accidentally graze your knuckles during the night. While the design was visually striking, functionality was a concern.
Where Kyle and Leslie truly shone this week was in their walk-in robe. The judges were impressed by the ample storage, beautiful laminate, and excellent handles. LED lighting inside the cupboards added a touch of luxury to the space, creating a cohesive design theme with the bedhead.
However, there was a catch. The judges found the walk-in robe to be a bit tight, raising concerns about its usability for a couple simultaneously. They pointed out that potential buyers might find this aspect of the room less appealing.
Get Kyle and Leslie's look
If you're inspired by Kyle and Leslie's master bedroom makeover and want to recreate a similar ambience in your own space, here's how you can get the look:
- MFL strip lighting: To accentuate a feature arch or any other architectural element in your room, consider using MFL strip lighting. It can elevate your room's design and provide a unique atmosphere.
- Mona II: These sleek, minimalist up-lighters are perfect for lighting large surfaces and rooms while reducing glare. Mona II even features Scene Control, allowing you to personalise the colour of light output throughout the day via a standard wall switch.
Leah & Ash - House 02
Leah and Ash's master bedroom was the canvas for their ambitious scalloped ceiling project, and the stakes were high.
The scalloped ceiling was nothing short of breathtaking. It was a testament to their creativity and craftsmanship, a true work of art. The judges were left speechless as they marvelled at the design. Shaynna couldn't contain her excitement, exclaiming, "Wowww! How's that!? A scalloped ceiling in a week, a week!" Darren recognised the seamless connection between the ceiling's curves and the exterior of the house, applauding them as experts in their craft.
But what made this ceiling even more remarkable was Leah and Ash's decision not to clutter it with lighting fixtures. Instead, they opted for wall washers that would gently illuminate the curves of the ceiling, creating a stunning nighttime ambience. The judges were clearly impressed with their lighting choices, and so were we!
Get Leah and Ash's look
Now, let's talk about the lighting choices that made Leah and Ash's master bedroom shine even brighter. If you're inspired by their design and want to recreate a similar look in your own space, here are the key lighting products they used:
- Mona up-lighter: Leah and Ash used the Mona up-lighter to draw attention towards the exquisite architectural detailing on the scalloped ceiling. Up-lighters are a perfect choice for creating the illusion of higher ceilings and adding a touch of elegance to any room.
- Welles lamp: The Welles range is a blend of functionality and style. The Welles table lamp, with its round detailing, solid timber base, and dual lights, provides ample illumination. Its mid-century design is complemented by a modern conical shade and rounded finial, making it a perfect addition to a stylish bedroom.
- MFL By Masson Artisan round alabaster shade: These alabaster shades are becoming show-stoppers this season, adding a touch of sophistication and luxury to the room.
Kristy & Brett - House 03
Kristy and Brett were determined to make a statement this week and went all-in on their master bedroom and walk-in robe. Their master bedroom featured a thoughtfully arranged bed, fireplace, plinth, TV, rug, and of course, a meticulously planned lighting layout.
After last week's feedback about their "basic lighting layout" our lighting designer Anton stepped in with a sumptuous lighting plan to help elevate their game. And the results were immediate. The judges noted that the room felt "light, bright, and airy," a testament to the power of well-designed lighting.
Marty praised the room for its warmth and cosiness, while Shaynna highlighted the impeccable floor plan. Even Darren, who hadn't been a fan of Venetian plaster previously, couldn't help but admire its beauty in this room. But it was the lighting plan that really caught the judges' attention, with praise for the double lights in the walking areas.
Get Kristy and Brett's look
Working closely with our lighting designer, Anton, Kristy and Brett opted for alabaster and black to create a sophisticated ambience in their master bedroom. Here's how you can recreate their stunning look:
- Centaur 3 light floor lamp: This floor lamp offers the flexibility to adjust the arms and focus light precisely where you need it. Perfect for small rooms or dark corners, it's both functional and stylish.
- Made By Mayfair Lucent pendant: The Lucent pendant, exclusively available at Beacon Lighting, features timeless Spanish alabaster paired with black detailing. This alabaster shade plays with light and shadow like no other natural stone, creating a captivating visual display.
- MBM Luella wall brackets: Another masterpiece from Made By Mayfair, the Luella pendant is hand-crafted from Spanish alabaster and boasts exquisite brass or black detailing. Each pendant in this collection is unique, with its own story to tell, making it a conversation starter in any space.
With alabaster and black as your colour palette, you can achieve the same sense of warmth, elegance, and visual depth that Kristy and Brett brought to their master bedroom.
Steph & Gian - House 04
Steph and Gian's walk-in robe left the judges speechless, and it's easy to see why. The space featured floor-to-ceiling cabinetry, with LED lighting beautifully lining the shelves. The addition of LED lighting not only made the space functional but also added a touch of elegance and sophistication.
Walking into their master bedroom, the judges were once again blown away. The room was described as "cathedral-like," and it truly felt like a place of worship for design enthusiasts. But what made this room even more spectacular was the thoughtfully chosen lighting.
The judges praised Steph and Gian for using "light as sculpture, not just light as function." Their selection of lighting fixtures, from pendants to wall sconces, created a play of light and shade that added depth and character to the room.
Get Steph and Gian's look
Now, if you're inspired by Steph and Gian's lighting choices on The Block 2023, you can recreate the same luxurious ambience in your own space with these products:
- Tamarind pendants: Steph and Gian used handcrafted Tamirand pendants in their bedroom suite, embracing the Japandi theme. These pendants are a beautiful expression of Indonesia's artistic heritage, and they can elevate the style of any room.
- Bond Arc-style floor lamp: The Bond lamp, with its solid marble base and adjustable black rod, is a statement piece. Steph and Gian cleverly used it as a base for another Tamarind pendant shade in their parent's retreat.
- Tatum tables: The Tatum collection of tables is designed to complement lamps and pendants. They have a matte textured finish that adds elegance to minimalist aesthetics.
- Arial LED Sunset dimmable wall sconce: The Arial wall sconce adds a touch of contemporary elegance to any space. Its soft curve and dimmable features make it perfect for setting the right ambience.
- Smith table lamp: This sleek design with a flattened shade is not only stylish but also practical, with a built-in USB port for device charging and stepless dimming.
Eliza & Liberty - House 05
The judges were buzzing with praise for Eliza and Liberty’s design choices and overall execution, and we couldn't agree more. While their room had its share of challenges, it ultimately shone with style and functionality.
However, the judges couldn't help but notice that the bedside tables were a bit underwhelming. We'd have to agree; it's an area where they could have played with lighting accessories to enhance the ambience. But all was not lost because the spacious and functional wardrobe earned a big tick from the judges.
Marty pointed out that the sisters had stuck to a similar colour scheme throughout their home, mainly neutral, white, rust, and blue. While these colours work well together, Marty encouraged them to think outside the palette and explore other options.
Get Eliza and Liberty's look
Now, let's dive into how you can achieve the Eliza and Liberty look:
- Fjord pendant lights: Inspired by nature, the Fjord pendant lights are a perfect match for Eliza and Liberty's design. With finishes like white, clay, stone, and black, these lights bring a touch of organic luxury to any space. Their pebble-like shapes and natural textures make them an ideal choice for those seeking a sophisticated yet earthy feel.
- Eton floor lamp: To emulate the warm and elegant ambience of Eliza and Liberty's master bedroom, consider the Eton floor lamp. Its solid walnut ribbed base exudes timeless charm, and the textured linen shade diffuses light gently, creating a soft and inviting glow. It's the perfect addition to any room where you want to add a touch of classic elegance.
And if you're inspired by their style, Beacon Lighting has the perfect lighting products, and in-store lighting designers, to help you achieve a similar look in your own home. Find out more about our lighting design services here, and we’ll see you next week for another room reveal of The Block 2023!